Relapse after 5 years

This forum is dedicated to discussions as it pertains to the addiction of Alcohol. Alcoholics Anonymous members should post questions and share experience, strength, and hopeful stories a here.

Relapse after 5 years

Postby jtanner » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:43 am

I was doing fine for 5 years. I was able to stay away from alcohol which became my life since I was 15. But then I fractured my foot about 4 months ago and although I took pain relievers, it was still very painful, so I started drinking again to not feel the pain. I continued drinking even after my foot was already well. I only got back to my senses when I accidentally hit my youngest son and he got a cut on his head. Now I'm on my 27th day of being sober. I hope this time it's going to be for keeps.

Re: Relapse after 5 years

Postby BudWiser » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:04 am

I'm happy for you that you were able to turn your back again to alcohol. I will soon celebrate my 1st year of being sober. It is not easy, but I can't go back to my old self. I've hurt the people I love so much. I promised myself I won't hurt them ever again.

Postby jtanner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks, man. Ah, the first year is always the hardest. But once you pass it, the alcohol's pull becomes weaker. You gain confidence in yourself that you can hurdle another year without alcohol.

Stay strong.

Postby jtanner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks, man. Ah, the first year is always the hardest. But once you pass it, the alcohol's pull becomes weaker. You gain confidence in yourself that you can hurdle another year without alcohol.

Stay strong.

*Sorry for the double post. How do I delete this post?
Last edited by jtanner on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby reBoo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:46 am

I don't know you personally, but I'm glad that both of you are able to stay away from alcohol. I know it's not easy to do that when you've been drinking for so long. I only drink occasionally but my dad was a heavy drinker. He tried to stop but he eventually went back to drinking. That caused his liver disease which led to cirrhosis that caused his death. I miss him.

Postby iamnotalone » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:15 am

that's pretty good news. keep it up! you are doing a great job!

Return to Alcohol Addiction