Half a relationship... Help?

These forum walls may contain adult language. Read and Post topics related to Love and Relationships.

Half a relationship... Help?

Postby thisisntmyrealname » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:32 pm

I've been in a relationship with a guy that I was with a year ago, and we stopped seeing each other because I thought that my depression made me not worth his time, and because I felt that he never put much of an effort into trying to find the time to spend with me, no matter how many times I mentioned that it bothered me that we didn't see each other much and that I felt I was the only one making an effort.

About a year after that we started talking again and I was getting better about my mental state so we thought it would be okay to get back together.

It's been a couple of months now and I am continuing to make progress with my diagnosed depression and anxiety, but we still have the same issues going on (although this time, I can be fairly certain it's not my depression because I've been doing fairly well in aspects of my life that I was no where near functional in in the past.) and kind of moreso. He still doesn't initiate conversation with me anymore, college separated us but even when he was home he didn't ever bother to schedule a date or anything.

Come to think of it, we've been "going out" for months now but I can't remember the last time we went on a date or had a conversation that didn't end in an argument

Every time we try to talk, I try to tell him about how things are going for me, and he tends to be ignorantly dismissive. Like, I tell him some difficulties I'm having and he replies with "Well you seem to be doing a lot better!" And "Don't worry, I have faith in you!" And it used to mean something but it doesn't anymore... One time I told him about a fight I had with a friend that involved her blackmailing me for things I've done to myself, and he replied "That doesn't seem like something she would do. Are you sure . . ."

When we do talk, it sounds like he still cares about me... but I just don't think that makes up for all the empty space surrounding those times that are few and far between

Honestly I really don't even feel like there's a relationship to break off... but he still says he loves me and all this and I just don't know what to say to him??

Return to Love & Relationships